Stay connected with Apple Watch, even when you’re away from your phone.
Introducing Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 with Cellular. Take calls and access data on the go from your wrist - without your iPhone.
So, how does the Apple Watch eSIM work?
An eSIM is an embedded SIM-card which is used for devices that have eSIM capabilities which cannot be removed from the device, in this case, the Apple Watch. The linked Apple Watch devices will use data, SMS and voice bundles from the primary billing account linked to your iPhone with a traditional SIM card. Now available in South Africa, the Vodacom OneNumber provides the eSIM as a Value Added Service for Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular) models.
Think of the Vodacom OneNumber and your traditional SIM card working together as a pair. The eSIM profile is activated and linked to the traditional SIM card, allowing you to receive calls, use data, access apps, and so on, straight from your Apple Watch. This happens automatically - so you don’t even have to pair anything together. It is important to note that Vodacom OneNumber can only be used on Postpaid Open Contracts- (ie. New contracts and Upgrades). Prepaid & Hybrid customers cannot use eSIM and OneNumber VAS.
How do you set it up?
Make sure that you have an iPhone 6s or later with iOS version 9.0 and upwards with the latest Vodacom app downloaded on device.
To use Apple Watch on the Vodacom network, you can follow these 5 easy steps:
- First things first, you need to have purchased either an Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), or an Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS + Cellular). Open the pre-installed Apple Watch app on your iPhone and follow the steps.
- Once your Apple Watch has been paired with your iPhone, the Mobile Data Setup page will pop up. Select ‘Mobile Data Setup’.
- Click ‘Activate OneNumber’ and accept the Terms and Conditions. Then click Next.
- You will receive a notification that OneNumber for Apple Watch is busy being processed. This will take a few minutes. Close the page and wait for a notification to continue.
- You will receive an SMS once your OneNumber is successfully activated and ready to use.
How much does an eSIM cost?
The Vodacom OneNumber charges a once off activation fee of R98 which enables the eSIM to be activated on the Vodacom network. Thereafter, OneNumber VAS will be added as a Value Added Service, with a monthly recurring subscription fee of R25 per month. This will be added to your monthly bill.
Important Terms and Conditions for OneNumber
- The Vodacom OneNumber service is available to Vodacom contract customers only [contract refers to post-paid subscribers and does not include “top up” or “prepaid” subscribers].
- The service is available to new and existing Vodacom contract customers:
- To subscribe to the Vodacom OneNumber service, you will need a compatible device [i.e. iPhone] and wearable [i.e. Apple Watch]
- The Vodacom OneNumber service may only be activated as an add-on to an existing primary [Contract].
- Only one Apple Watch may be linked to the service at a time
- Signing up to the Vodacom OneNumber service, does not amend or extend your existing Contract with Vodacom. The two-services are independent of each other, where your main contract terms and conditions govern the relationship between the two services.
- If you have lost your Apple Watch, you will need to contact Vodacom to blacklist the device and have the Vodacom OneNumber service deactivated.
- If you want to swap your wearable: You will need to cancel your initial service and reactivate the service with the update devices.
- Vodacom reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions and when such changes are material, Vodacom will provide prior written notice of such a change or amendment.